Monday, June 1, 2009

My hands were busy

I spotted this poem on my friends fridge the other day, I have read it once before, but it was a very timely reminder for me about how quickly time goes by and how I need to cherish the fleeting moments I have with my precious children!

My Hands were Busy
My hands were busy through the day
I didn't have much time to play
The little games you asked me to,
I didn't have much time for you.
I'd wash your clothes,
I'd sew and cook,
But when you'd bring your picture book
And asked me please to share your fun,
I'd say, "A little later son."
I'd tuck you in all safe at night
And hear your prayers, turn out the light,
Then tiptoe softly to the door...
I wish I'd stayed a minute more.
For life is short, the years rush past.
A little boy grows up so fast.
No longer is he at your side,
His precious secrets to confide.
The picture books are put away,
There are no longer games to play.
No good-night kisses, no prayers to hear;
That all belongs to yesteryear.
My hands, once busy, now are still
The days are long and hard to fill.
I wish I could go back to do
The little things you asked me to.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chiller, Nice poem, refelcts on the important things in life.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder Felicity. I've printed it out and put it on the fridge! Sarah xx

Leah said...

LOVE this poem Felicity - thanks for posting!

denise said...

Thanks for posting this. What an excellent reminder!

Anonymous said...

My sons kindergarten teacher sent this poem home with all the ids one day/ I kept it taped to my fridge for years too.
I was happy to find it again to share with younger family members.
Thanks for pasting it!

Anonymous said...

this is not anonymous the name of the poem is "To My Grown-Up Son" by Alice E. Chase

someone along the way has changed it a bit.

A Layering of Perception said...

Well, there are two claims of ownership. http://webspace.webring.com/people/if/fourmagick/poetry.html

MaryAnn LoSchiavo Barbuto written 1961

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot Felicity...I also have this on my wall...A friend shared with me once...I'm married for 9 years now with 3 children and I love what you have said about children. Thanks for sharing your spirit....

Anonymous said...

Love this poem. This poem was sent home from my Son's school 20 some years ago. I love it. Author mentioned was "unknown".